Authorisation to Alter a Public Road

If you need to have work carried out within a road reserve, you require permission under section 221 of the Local Government Act. The road reserve extends from property boundary to property boundary across a road including the road verges and vegetated areas or footpaths. Work for which this type of permit is required generally involves digging and associated reinstatement. Whether footpath road or vegetation, there are standards for the depth that must be excavated as well as the reconstruction and reinstatement of these assets that must be met.

An example of the work for which a permit is required is to lay an irrigation pipe from paddock to paddock across a road.

Works within a road reserve may require traffic management if the works are within 3 metres of the closest traffic lane. Only persons with current Work Zone Traffic Management accreditation are legally able to implement traffic management arrangements.

Principal Office

PO Box 120, 94 Ayr Street

Jamestown SA 5491

Tel: 08 8664 1139


Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm

Spalding Office

11 Main Street

Spalding SA 5454

Tel: 08 8845 2017

Tues: 10am - 2.30pm

Thurs: 9am - 5pm

Gladstone Office

14 Fifth Street

Gladstone SA 5473

Tel: 08 8662 2018

Mon - Fri: 9am - 5pm