House Based Business
A home based business is the use of a residential dwelling or outbuildings by a resident on the site to operate a business, which does not require approval from Council if it is operated within certain strict guidelines.
Home Based Activity Guidelines:
A home based business is able to be conducted from your home, provided it does NOT:
- create repeated, prolonged or loud noise
- produce smoke, fumes, dust, odours
- increase traffic in the street by delivery vehicles or the parking of clients
Schedule 1 of the Development Regulations 1993 states that a home activity means the use of a site by a person resident on the site, that does not detrimentally affect the amenity of the locality or any part of the locality; and that does NOT require or involve:
- assistance by more than one person who is not a resident of the dwelling
- a floor area greater than 30m2 (whether temporarily or permanently)
- any source of power, other than an electric motor, of not more than 0.4 kilowatts
- the imposition on the services provided by any public utility or organisation which has a demand or load greater than that which is ordinarily imposed by other users of the services in the locality
- the display of goods in a window or about the dwelling or its curtilage (surrounds)
- the use of a vehicle exceeding three tonne tare in weight
- the display of an advertising sign greater than 0.2m2 (45cm x 45cm) in size. Signs must be attached to the house, letterbox or front fence. No portable, easel or A-Frames signs are permitted. Signs should only display the business name, nature of business and trading hours.
Types Of Businesses NOT Suitable Within A Residential Zone
Motor vehicle repairs, mechanical repairs, panel beating, spray painting and any other activities involving noisy machinery are not considered to fit into the definition of a home activity (these types of activities are more suited within an industry or commercial zone). Home based businesses are best suited to those that do not have an impact on the neighbourhood, such as a home office.